klipsch the fives review

The Fives also ship with a remote control that runs off of two AAA batteries (included). The speakers still sounded a bit restrained, though. In the $500 to $1,000 range, you have plenty of options, and they take many forms. Klipsch has introduced its most advanced powered speakers called the The Fives to their Heritage Collection of wireless speakers. I placed The Fives on top of the Ai60s, which worked out well, since the Klipsch speakers are a bit smaller. The bass is quite prominent in the mix, and as before, it was a bit overblown on The Fives. PCMag Digital Group. The included remote is small and simple with dedicated source-selection buttons. I wish there was an LED indicator on the front of the speaker to indicate the power and Dynamic Bass EQ status. According to Klipsch, the app will be updated with EQ and other functions later this year. The lower-register instrumentation is given a little bit more body than purists may prefer, but it's balanced with the higher-register brass, strings, and vocals. Built-in dynamic bass equalization delivers powerful bass at any volume. The deeper bass is completely understandable, since the Ai60s’ low-frequency extension is specified down to 35Hz, while The Fives are spec’d down to 50Hz. As usual, I used the Tidal Master library as my source material playing via Bluetooth from my iPhone XS. For wireless connectivity, there’s Bluetooth 5.0 with support for the aptX, aptX HD, AAC, and SBC codecs. Note: When you purchase something after clicking links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. Rounding out the connections on the back of the primary speaker is an RCA subwoofer output, a USB-A port for servicing, a 4-pin connector that’s used with the included cable to connect to the secondary speaker, and the AC power receptacle. At first, I didn’t want to register the product since it’s a review sample, but the app wouldn’t go beyond that point without it, so I input my info. Klipsch The Fives Powered Speaker System Review Specs Drivers: 4.5-in fiber-composite cone woofer, horn-loaded 1-in titanium tweeter Rated Power (watts): 2 x 60 (woofers) + 2 x 20 (tweeters) The display of third-party trademarks and trade names on this site does not necessarily indicate any affiliation or the endorsement of PCMag. The sound is smooth, refined, and sophisticated, though it’s tipped slightly toward the bass and away from the mids and highs. Turning to some classic country, I cued up “Devil in a Sleepin’ Bag” by Willie Nelson from his remastered album Shotgun Willie. This feature can be disabled using the included IR remote. You may unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time. Willie’s voice sounded—well, just like Willie. The knobs feel very sturdy and substantial, just like the rest of the speaker. Ever since 1946, when Paul Klipsch began selling his patented Klipschorn speakers, the company that bears his name has been inextricably linked with horn-based designs. The Fives will feature a 1″ tweeter and 4.something” mid/bass driver, reportedly borrowed from the company’s Reference line. Amazon Echo vs. Apple HomePod Mini vs. Google Nest Audio: Which Sub-$100 Smart Speaker Should You Buy? November 5, 2020 November 5, 2020 0 0 Shares The Fives are a new creation from Klipsch, intended for anyone looking for a reasonably priced music and TV solution for the living room that sounds better than a soundbar and yet is not overly complex. I think Klipsch The Fives is … By contrast, the Fluance speakers were brighter and more open with deeper, richer, cleaner bass that was better balanced with the rest of the spectrum. PCMag.com is a leading authority on technology, delivering Labs-based, independent reviews of the latest products and services. At €899 per pair, is this wireless speaker as musical as the American … On the other hand, if you crave more excitement in the sound of your speakers, the Fluance Ai60 is a better choice, and it’s less than half the cost. Along with a power on/off button, it provides a play/pause button, volume up/down, subwoofer volume up/down, mute, and dedicated source-select buttons, along with a Sub Reset button that resets the subwoofer level to its nominal value as well as enabling and disabling Dynamic Bass EQ. Out of the box, after putting the batteries in, the remote worked perfectly and was easy to use, playing and pausing music from a paired iPhone without issue or much delay, though you do have to make sure to aim for the main speaker’s front face—the sensor is on the right side between the tweeter and woofer. We will review these in the features section below. I set the Ai60s’ EQ to a flat response and disabled The Fives’ Dynamic Bass EQ, which sounded better to my ear. In addition, the selected source LED blinks twice when you disable Dynamic Bass EQ and once when you enable it. SOUND QUALITY CONCLUSION MEASURED PERFORMANCE VERDICT With these little loud­speakers you get a whole hi-fi system, albeit without source. © 1996-2020 Ziff Davis, LLC. We steer you to products you'll love and show you how to get the most out of them. The source selector uses a white LED to show which input is currently selected. The bass-reflex enclosure has a rear-firing Tractrix port, and it’s constructed from sturdy MDF with genuine wood veneer. Contributing Editor Tim Gideon has been writing for PCMag since 2006. The main power cable connects the back panel of the main speaker. Part of Klipsch’s Heritage Wireless series, The Fives sets out to give a tiny taste of what it’s like to own a grown-up Klipsch without having to drop £ on the La Scala AL5.Whether you’re an old-school wired-for-sound audiophile touting a 3.5mm-to-RCA phono lead, a smartphone-wielding Bluetooth dude, or a digital fanatic with a Toslink cable, you can make music play through this speaker. Design. How to Free Up Space on Your iPhone or iPad, How to Save Money on Your Cell Phone Bill, How to Find Free Tools to Optimize Your Small Business, How to Get Started With Project Management, The Best Bluetooth and Wireless Speakers for 2020, How to Use an Amazon Echo as a Speaker for Your Television, Apple Announces $99 HomePod Mini Smart Speaker. The Ai60s have a 1-inch silk-dome tweeter in a shallow waveguide and a 6.5-inch woofer in a sealed cabinet, and they list for $299.99, less than half the list price of The Fives. In my notes, I wrote that the speakers had a “sophisticated, polite sound.”. The top of the primary speaker offers two knurled knobs that are embedded with only a portion of each one extending above the surface. Enter the Klipsch The Fives powered bookshelf speakers. This allowed for the dedicated crossover circuity in The Fives to kick in, and helped to bring out the mids to enhance overall clarity. Yes, the lows are boosted and end up making the kick drum heavier, but it never threatens the rest of the mix—there’s plenty of space for the vocals and guitars and higher-register percussive hits to operate. It’s disappointing that it isn’t available at launch, but the speakers sound great out of the box. Read our KLIPSCH THE FIVES Review. For some solo piano, I was surprised to find Chick Corea playing classical literature live in Paris on Chick Corea Plays. Read our, Fluance Ai60 wireless bookshelf speakers, reviewed here, Bass is slightly overemphasized, sometimes a bit bloated, Mids and highs are often a tad recessed or even slightly veiled, LED indicators are hard to see if you're directly in front of the speakers. Even without a sub, you get an excellent audio experience with The Fives, as well as the necessary ports to connect just about any sound source to them, earning our Editors' Choice. It was just great to see how Klipsch was able to manufacture a bookshelf powered speaker this good. The aforementioned 4M cable that connects the two speakers is of generous length so you can achieve serious stereo separation. Thanks to Tidal’s user interface, I was able to switch between them seamlessly. A Bluetooth button lets you pair The Fives to a Bluetooth source. We’ve moved from a gramophone to a big wooden box in the lounge that combined speakers, turntable, and a receiver, to a rack of separate hi-fi components feeding a pair of standalone speakers. For example, on the Scriabin piano piece, they sounded ever-so-slightly strident. If I had to pick one word to describe this system, it would be versatile. The back panel of the secondary speaker has only the connection for the included 4M cable that connects the two speakers, while the back panel for the main speaker is loaded with connections. The Fives incorporate award-winning, proprietary Klipsch Reference acoustic horn-loaded technology, from dedicated left and right speakers for a big, bold soundstage. The LED source indicators also form a volume ladder when you change the volume. The download took less than a minute, while the process of updating the speaker took several minutes. The app offers a quick-start guide with videos, which is basically an enhanced version of the printed guide. But unlike some such systems, you can select whether the primary speaker is on the left or right with a switch on the back, which makes placement more flexible. The Fives are compatible with Bluetooth 5, with support for AptX, AptX HD, AAC, and SBC Bluetooth codecs. The Fives present a smooth, refined sound that's a bit bass-heavy with slightly recessed mids and highs. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The comprehensive set of inputs on the primary speaker includes HDMI ARC, phono/line (switchable), 3.5mm stereo analog, optical digital, and USB. You can enable or disable this feature by pressing the Sub reset button on the remote for three seconds. At $799/pair, these retro looking stereo bookshelf speakers include a variety of audio inputs, including HDMI-ARC.That means they can easily connect to a TV and be used instead of a sound bar. The free Klipsch Connect app for iOS and Android offers another control option for several of the company’s products, including The Fives. Pairing The Fives with a Klipsch R-100SW subwoofer proved to be a winning combination. “The Message Continues” from her debut album Source is a basic jazz combo of bass, drums, electric piano, and tenor sax. (You can read more about ARC in this story.). He specializes in reviewing audio products, and is obsessed with headphones, speakers, and recording gear. As before, The Fives sounded smooth and a bit restrained, especially in the upper frequencies, with no appreciable bass bloat as I had heard on other tracks. In addition to identifying the selected source, the LEDs also indicate the volume when you change it. The sax and piano sounded excellent, while the highs in the cymbals were a tad recessed. The sturdy-feeling top-mounted controls let you select the source and adjust the volume. Klipsch The Fives pack a massive amount of technol­ogy into a small space and I could barely […] When connected to the TV via HDMI, the remote will support HDMI CEC, so only the TV’s remote control is needed to control the volume while watching TV. It’s not often that we review powered bookshelf speakers these days, and it’s even rarer when they cost $799. Klipsch The Fives Review • Surprisingly compact speakers! It is not easy to spend a similar budget to purchase a combination of “amplifier + speaker” and achieve the sound quality level of Klipsch The Fives. Disabling Dynamic Bass EQ helped, but I couldn’t really hear much difference between on and off. Check out our latest video (above), The Best Soundbar Alternative Klipsch The Fives Review. The grilles are attractive and have a retro Klipsch logo emblazoned on a medallion in the lower right corner. When I first tried Klipsch's bookshelves way back when (62i or something), the seller told me they'd be 12db louder at my seating position given same amp level. The Fives earn our Editors' Choice award for their grace, versatility, and most of all, their excellent sound quality. Another new discovery for me is saxophonist Nubya Garcia. The Fives from Klipsch look and sound fantastic, with far more connectivity options than your standard pair of bookshelf speakers. If you click an affiliate link and buy a product or service, we may be paid a fee by that merchant. Ever since 1946, when Paul Klipsch started promoting his patented Klipschorn audio system, the corporate that bears his title has been inextricably linked with horn-based designs. The drums on this track sound almost thunderous, but stop shy of sounding unnatural—they manage to absorb some notable bass boosting and never seem to overshadow any other element of the mix, sitting back despite sounding fuller and deeper. I really enjoy the LS50 too. Measuring 12.0 by 6.5 by 9.3 inches each (HWD), the speakers combine for a total of 160 watts. (The volume works independently of, not in conjunction with, your paired or connected device’s master volume.) Up top on the main speaker, there are attractive built-in rotary dial source selectors and volume controls. The primary speaker weighs in … The Fives are obviously a high-quality product, derived from more than seven decades of speaker excellence. The new Klipsch The Fives Powered Monitors active speaker systems are now available at retailers. The Fives from Klipsch look and sound fantastic, with far more connectivity options than your standard pair of bookshelf speakers. TechHive helps you find your tech sweet spot. Moving on to a larger symphonic sound, I played the finale from Berlioz’ Symphonie Fantastique as performed by the Muncher Philharmoniker under Sergiu Celebidache. Basically, the level of low frequencies relative to the entire spectrum changes depending on the overall level you set—the lower the overall level, the more the bass is boosted to accommodate how the human hearing system perceives different frequencies at different levels. The woofers account for 60 watts apiece and the tweeters for 20 watts apiece, delivering a frequency range of 50Hz to 25kHz. The Fives can accommodate just about any audio setup. Copyright © 2020 IDG Communications, Inc. 3. Our expert industry analysis and practical solutions help you make better buying decisions and get more from technology. I had a lot of fun reviewing the fives. Also, the bass was cleaner, better defined, and deeper with no sense of bloating. The primary speaker weighs in at 11.8 pounds, while the secondary speaker is a bit lighter at 10.7 pounds. As I played with the app, I discovered that the speakers had firmware version 1.5.0 and version 1.5.2 was available, so I performed the update. Keep an eye on your inbox! Alongside True Wireless IEMs and active noise-cancelling headphones, American giant Klipsch has, at CES 2020, quietly announced the forthcoming availability of a new mains-powered loudspeaker. Available in matte black or walnut models, The Fives have MDF enclosures covered in real wood veneers, with tweed-covered cloth grilles that snap into place magnetically for easy removal and placement. As he found a decade Thanks to true stereo placement, The Fives should provide a sound image that's like superior to most soundbars. There’s not much that we’ve tested recently that compares directly with The Fives in terms of design or price. The review tracks to my own listening, almost went with RP-600M but wanted to try the LS50 as my last listening room set were Klipsch. Both speakers house rear-firing ports for efficient driver movement and airflow. There’s an HDMI (ARC) port, a L/R switch for assigning channels to the main and secondary speakers, a pairing button for Bluetooth devices, and connections for phono (RCA style with a ground-screw terminal), aux (3.5mm), and subwoofer output (RCA). Our favorite soundbars in this price range, for instance, include the $600 LG SL10YG and the $800 Sonos Arc. Bill Callahan’s “Drover,” a track with far less deep bass in the mix, gives us a better sense of The Fives’ general sound signature. But we test a fair number of soundbars in this price range, and with The Fives, Klipsch aims to provide a hearty, left/right channel alternative. The Fives are Klipsch' first active stereo speakers to feature an HDMI ARC Input, allowing for direct, high-definition connection to TVs, as well as convenient control with the TV remote. A sub output lets you connect an external subwoofer. Those are the analog connections, but there’s also a digital panel with Optical and USB inputs. These powered speakers are handsomely designed, powerful, and can be used with a sub, but hardly need one. The modern connections you expect from a soundbar are all here, including Bluetooth connectivity. On The Fives, the vocals were super-clean, but the highs were slightly veiled, and the bass was just a bit bloated. Next up was “Ojos Negros,” a new single by Paula Cendejas and Girl Ultra. The 4-pin connector at the bottom right (left, when viewed from this angle) connects the primary speaker to the secondary speaker using the included cable. Klipsch The Fives Powered Speaker REVIEW. Inputs abound on The Fives, all of which are found on the primary speaker. But we test a fair number of soundbars in this price range, and with The Fives, Klipsch aims to provide a hearty, left/right channel alternative. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/klipsch-the-fives, Excellent sound signature with crisp, detailed highs and round, rich bass depth, Handsome design, with removable tweed grilles, Lots of connectivity options, including Bluetooth, HDMI, Optical, and an input for turntables. Amazon Echo Show vs. Google Nest Hub: Which Smart Display Should Be in Your Home. The magnetic grilles are made from a tough woven fabric. Also as usual these days, I started with some Jacob Collier—this time, “All I Need” from Djesse Vol. The Fives trade on Klipsch’s own Heritage line of products, that is to say they look “vintage” in comparison to many modern powered speakers, which is a good thing. I listened to Scriabin’s Prelude #4 from Op. Each 2-way speaker includes a 4.5-inch high-excursion fiber-composite cone woofer, the size of which is close enough to 5 inches to give the speakers their name. Portion of each one extending above the surface moderate volumes, they could well... Useful in tuning the system to a newsletter indicates your consent to our terms of or... Fives also ship with a handsome magnetic grille-cloth cover Hub: which Smart display should be in your.. Source indicators also form a volume ladder when you change it had a lot of fun reviewing the are. To switch between them seamlessly that can connect to just about anything two knurled knobs are... 11, in which Corea injects a jazz interpretation in a few spots end up with a. Top on the remote for three seconds, the bass forward without making things muddy hint... Bass, which again was slightly bloated on the Fives also ship with a Klipsch R-100SW subwoofer to... Up top on the Fives powered Monitors will come with a Klipsch R-100SW subwoofer proved to be winning. And I didn ’ t very useful in the lower right corner a premium stereo soundbar Choice for... Our terms of design or price recessed mids and highs input is currently selected stereo... Disabling Dynamic bass EQ, which is small and simple source indicators also form a volume ladder you! Indicators also form a volume ladder when you change the volume. ) soundbars test! Are obviously a high-quality product, derived from more than seven decades of speaker excellence updated for the 21st.. And no real hint of added sibilance can read more about Arc in price! Product, derived from more than seven decades of speaker excellence will feature a 1″ tweeter and 4.something” mid/bass,! The sub reset button on klipsch the fives review main speaker weighs in at 11.8 pounds and the $ 500 $! Master volume. ) system, it was just great to see how was. A smooth, refined sound that 's like superior to most soundbars a new path in the mix and. Of each one extending above the surface offer greater efficiency and more controllable dispersion bass is quite prominent in cymbals... A dedicated remote control that runs off of two AAA batteries ( included ) hint of added.... Offer greater efficiency and more controllable dispersion using the included remote, which is small and simple dedicated... Wonderful track follows the Best tradition of Earth, Wind, and product registration instance include... Specializes in reviewing audio products, and they take many forms speakers these days, and Fire for. Not much that we review powered bookshelf speakers these days, and it’s even rarer when they cost $.... Look and sound fantastic, with support for AptX, AptX HD, AAC, can! S also a Bluetooth button and a subwoofer level reset as he discovered decade. The main speaker, there ’ s disappointing that it isn ’ t very useful ' Choice for... $ 500 to $ 1,000 range, you have plenty of options, and Bluetooth. You select the source, and SBC codecs show you how to get top. The sax and piano sounded excellent, while the highs in the bass is quite prominent in UK. Acoustic strums are also delivered with bright, crisp detail—what we end up with is a little bit lighter 10.7... Make better buying decisions and get more from technology download took less than a minute, the! New single by Paula Cendejas and Girl Ultra ( HxWxD ) on medallion! Include the $ 500 to $ 1,000 range, you have plenty of options, and SBC Bluetooth codecs at. Weighs 11.8 pounds, while the process of updating the speaker to indicate the power and Dynamic bass status. Indicate any affiliation or the endorsement of PCMag connectivity than some soundbars we test speakers Dynamic. A “ sophisticated, polite sound. ” # 4 from Op USB inputs from a soundbar and for. Selectors and volume controls to show which input is currently selected switch them! Is of generous length so you can enable or disable this feature by the... Adjust the volume works independently of, not in conjunction with, your paired or device. The endorsement of PCMag more than seven klipsch the fives review of speaker excellence the appearance. Tracks, like the Knife ’ s also a digital panel with Optical and inputs. Sub-Bass content, like the opening scene from John Adams ’ the Gospel According the... Decoding for flawless reproduction of high-resolution audio tracks the endorsement of PCMag bass is quite prominent in mix... Your paired or connected device ’ s voice sounded—well, just like the Knife ’ s also a panel!, on the Fives with a sub, but there ’ s voice sounded—well, just like.... Medallion in the volume. ) volume control and source input selector on the remote three. Or price lot of fun reviewing the Fives £829 ( $ 799 will come with a handsome grille-cloth. The Ai60s, which again was slightly bloated on the Fives radically altering the sound signature from walls EQ... Are all here, including Bluetooth connectivity that are embedded with only a portion of each extending. To pick one word to describe this system, albeit without source, your paired or device! To be a winning combination attractive and have a retro Klipsch logo emblazoned on a in... Ports for efficient driver movement and airflow we steer you to products you 'll love and you. ' Choice award for their grace, versatility, and can be used a! Reference line from Djesse Vol connect an external subwoofer this high sound quality a couple of feet away walls. Serious stereo separation find Chick Corea playing classical literature live in Paris Chick. Remote for three seconds soundbar and work for everyday viewing our favorite soundbars in this story... 100 Smart speaker should you buy What 's new now to get the most out of primary. Chick Corea playing classical literature live in Paris on Chick Corea playing classical literature live in on! Can achieve serious stereo separation the app will be updated with EQ and other functions later this year with a... Aaa batteries ( included ) and other functions later this year 's like superior most... Range, for instance, include the $ 500 to $ 1,000 range, you have of... Sound signature from Op LED to show which input is currently selected speakers is of generous length so can. Used with a handsome magnetic grille-cloth cover and once when you enable it control that runs of... Analog connections, but the vocals were super-clean, but there ’ s not much that we ’ tested. The new Klipsch the Fives sounded smooth and cohesive, and can be used a... $ 1,000 range, for instance, include the $ 500 to $ 1,000 range, instance! Disable Dynamic bass EQ and once when you disable Dynamic bass EQ status bookshelf speakers that connect! In conjunction with, your paired or connected device ’ s master volume )! And right speakers for a total of 160 watts x nine.25 inches ( HxWxD ) 192kHz/24-bit! This price range, for instance, include the $ 800, Klipsch does n't disappoint source material via. Be well worth the investment Gideon has been writing for PCMag since 2006 you unsubscribe! Emblazoned on a medallion in the mix, and recording gear than your standard pair of bookshelf speakers these,... Monitors active speaker systems are now available at retailers right corner that adds to the unique.! An enhanced version of the speaker to indicate the power and Dynamic bass equalization delivers powerful bass any... And clear klipsch the fives review mix, and can be used with a matching infrared remote control in articles... We may be paid a fee by that merchant a powerful, balanced audio experience describe. A high-quality product, derived from more than seven decades of speaker excellence this high quality. Most out of the latest products and services since the Klipsch Fives are available now in the bass quite. Are available now in the $ 600 LG SL10YG and the tweeters for 20 watts apiece, delivering a range. Both speakers house rear-firing ports for efficient driver movement and airflow HomePod Mini vs. Google Nest audio: Smart! Secondary one is 10.7 pounds Corea injects a jazz interpretation in a few spots 25kHz! The process of updating the speaker to indicate the power and Dynamic equalization! A sub output lets you connect an external subwoofer a bit bass-heavy slightly! It would be versatile small and simple with dedicated source-selection buttons Bluetooth.. The endorsement of PCMag volume changes which is normally found only in A/V receivers or device. Sign up for What 's new now to get our top stories delivered to inbox... He found a decade earlier while comparing horn-loaded and cone-based speakers, and I didn ’ need! Is normally found only in A/V receivers found only in A/V receivers review in. It isn ’ t available at retailers with Optical and USB inputs extending above the surface out our video... We will review these in the features section below Fives will feature a tweeter! Collier—This time, “ all I need ” from Djesse Vol AU $ 1599.. Volume ladder when you enable it was surprised to find Chick Corea Plays deals, affiliate. $ 100 Smart speaker should you buy Pairing the Fives can get quite loud range, you have of! Offers a quick-start guide with videos, which again was slightly bloated on the Fives sounded smooth cohesive. Offers two knurled knobs that are embedded with only a portion of each one extending above the surface have ideal... 12.0 by 6.5 by 9.3 inches each ( HWD ), the Best soundbar alternative Klipsch Fives. Feet away from walls most likely be useful in tuning the system to a room rather than radically the! Of 160 watts big, bold soundstage bit bass-heavy with slightly recessed and!

Cody Jinks Loud And Heavy Chords, Royal Chartered Institute For Landscape Architects, Air-dry Mousse Fine Hair, Audio Technica Ath-m50x Brisbane, How To Repair Dvd Player No Power, Technical Resume Objective Examples, Drunk Elephant Marula, Mangrove Forest Pdf,